my history...

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Chip Jack O' Lanterns

Halloween weekend is here!! The weather is beautiful and the leaves are crunchy. This is one of my favorite holidays and I always like to do something festive to celebrate. I had mentioned that Tom and I were baking vegan chocolate chip cookie cakes the other day, so I wanted to share them with you!

First of all, we used a recipe for "Chocolate Chip Bars" from the book How It All Vegan! by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. I always get nervous using recipes from books when I'm making vegan food. I'm afraid, especially when baking, that the cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. will come out dry or flavorless. But this recipe worked out pretty well. The only modification we made was to split up the batter, so instead of using a 9"x13" pan, we used two 8" round pans. Also....we opted for the use of Soy Milk over water. And I threw in about another half cup of chocolate chips!! Once our cakes were out of the oven and cooled, we got together some icing, dyed it orange, green, and black (or as close as we could get), and painted our big vegan cookies like carved halloween pumpkins!!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!


Can you guess who decorated which? Haha!

They taste yummy and I can't seem to stop myself from digging in each and every time I find myself in the kitchen! On top of that, my mom sent Tom and I a cute little care package, festive with orange pumpkin and black cat confetti, and mini stuffed scarecrows, for Halloween. I've been digging in, indulging my sugar addiction, with gelatin free candy-corn and all sorts of snacks from a place called Apple Hills back in upstate NY. It's so nice to have a little taste of home this time of year!!

It's been hard getting into the spirit of the season, having just moved and living in a much warmer climate. But these little touches and warm thoughts have definitely helped to put my time and place into perspective. And I am so incredibly thankful for that!! I don't think Tom and I are putting together halloween costumes together this time around, but we've been brainstorming for next year!! It's gonna be gooooood! :)

Time to go enjoy the rest of this beautiful fall day!

Happy "Mischief Night" everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment