my history...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Butterfly Messages!

Today, I had an experience that really brought to light a symbol that has been entering my life consistently since moving to Austin. This morning, I had the pleasure of listening to some of Denise Linn's radio show on Hay House Radio. She was talking about symbols and the messages life likes to give to the soul. In Denise's talk, she mentioned coincidences, strange out-of-the-blue occurrences in our lives, as well as the messages given by nature and animals. There was much discussion about birds and what different birds might mean to an individual. I wasn't able to finish the entire show, but the ideas presented stuck with me as I continued on with my day.


Tom and I had some errands to run, so we hopped in the car and headed over to Kinko's, a copy store in the area. As we were driving, I started thinking about a turkey that had flown over my car about a year ago, back when I was in Binghamton, NY. I was still stuck on the idea of birds and the symbols they might represent. My mind continued to meander, and I thought, "Man...a symbol like that could REALLY get your attention if it just hit your windshield!!". (Not meaning to be morbid...but that really would catch your attention!!) Just as I had that thought, a butterfly caught it's wing underneath the windshield wipers on tom's car. It was stuck there for about 30 seconds, as we rounded a corner. Then, once we slowed down to stop, the butterfly again regained it's ability to maneuver itself and flew away! (I hope he was okay!!)

Now, to me, that was an amazingly synchronistic occurence!! I was thinking about symbols landing on the windshield, and here was a beautiful and delicate butterfly showing up right before me. I almost dismissed the event, but instead I spoke aloud to Tom what I had been thinking just as the butterfly got caught on his car. We both had an "Aha!" moment, as this was most definitely a symbol I was meant to pay attention to!

Since first arriving in Austin, I've actually had many run-ins with butterflies! The first time, we were out for lunch with some friends and a couple of butterflies kept landing on me. They'd fly away and come back. I was surprised and delighted by their presence. This happened again when I was working on my 28 day Soul Coaching program, taking a day to connect with the earth. I sat in a tree and a number of butterflies continued to visit me while I was there. They'd land on my legs, walk around a bit, untwirl their long tongues and just kind of hang out. I loved their company!! When I went on a vision quest just a few weeks ago, I again noticed butterflies, but dismissed them, as I was hiking in nature and simply expected them to be there.

butterfly on my vision quest

I've now come to the realization that my dismissal of the presence of butterflies came too soon! It is interesting to note, that the amount of energy I've been giving to my soul's journey, coincides with the frequency and intensity of my butterfly experiences here in Austin. I've been losing some of my focus recently, but today, after listening to Denise Linn's show and contemplating a bit about the journey of the soul in relation to symbolism, the message rang loud and clear. The butterflies I've been encountering definitely had something to teach me! So, when I got home from a long day of errands, I typed into my computer "butterfly symbolism". This is what I found...

Most obviously, the butterfly is a symbol of "transformation". From larvae, to cocoon, to magnificent butterfly, incredible transformation takes place, to the point where the butterfly is completely different and unrecognizable at the end of it's lifespan. The butterfly goes through immense change throughout it's short life, and it does so with amazing grace and unwaivering faith. It accepts the transitions in it's life, understanding and knowing that undergoing such metamorphosis is for it's own good. The butterfly embraces the call of nature, and in the end is gifted with the ability to fly!! Another symbol of the butterfly in relation to these circumstances is "resurrection". After the earth chomping larvae goes to sleep in it's cocoon (a type of tomb), it then comes back to life (a spiritual resurrection) more glorious than ever before!

Many cultures also recognize the butterfly as a symbol for the "soul". This representation really stood out to me, as it is directly connected to my life's path as a Soul Coach. I believe all beings are on a soul journey. Throughout our lives, we go through countless experiences that shift our perceptions and change our circumstances, bringing us ever closer to our soul's most authentic way of being. As we follow our spiritual path with grace and acceptance, our soul's grow lighter and lighter. Just like the butterfly, we grow and change, until ultimately our spirit's are able to rise above in lightness of being. The butterfly is a grand example of just how to approach these changes and metamorphoses throughout life. Through patience, acceptance, and the ability to change with grace, our soul's will ultimately be lighter so that we can soar to higher planes of understanding and existence.

After reflection on the symbolism of butterflies, I can definitely see and feel what messages were in store for me. In my current life, I feel that my soul is going through immense change, though at the present time I feel static and stifled. I feel that I've come so far in my spiritual evolution, yet I have so much farther to go. I am transforming internally now, and it's a slow process. My soul is in transition. I can see on the horizon though, a glorious life, helping others as they embark on their own soul journeys. I am gathering that this is a time for me to rest, like the larvae rests in it's cocoon before releasing itself to the universe as a beautiful butterfly!! The message now is to take each moment with patient knowing. I must accept my current circumstances and go with the flow, having faith that all will turn out beautifully, as I know it will.

I am on the verge, once again, of resurrecting myself into a new way of being. I am excited and happy for this transformation. I welcome change and look forward to my future. For now, I will wait for my moment in stillness and acceptance. I ask for grace to guide me as I transition into my new life. Thank you butterflies for the awareness you've given me, as it keeps me centered and feeling like I'm on the right track!! One motto I and my fellow Soul Coaches learned from Denise Linn while in California this past September was that "It's happening!". I think that is exactly what the butterflies are trying to tell me. If I continue with faith and patience, I too will emerge like a beautiful butterfly!! Thank you for the messages meant for my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment